In this post, you will find real sample LORs from real MS candidates. Use these samples as a guide to get effective letter of recommendations for your MS in USA applications.
How to use sample LORs in your MS applications
The sample LORs provided in this post will aid you in encouraging your recommenders to submit strong LORs. These are not provided to be copied – reputed universities take plagiarism very seriously.
What is a good LOR
- The best letters of recommendation come from professors or individuals who know you well.
- A well-written letter of recommendation provides admissions committees with information that isn’t found elsewhere in the application.
- A letter of recommendation discusses your personal qualities, accomplishments, and experiences that make you unique and perfect for the programs to which you are applying.
- Make sure that the Letter of Recommendation does not conflict with or duplicate the rest of the application (Personal Statement, Transcripts, Resume, etc.)
- Recommender should describe his qualifications for comparing the applicant to other applicants.
Format of a LOR
The university emails your recommender with a form and a chance to upload a LOR file. The form asks multiple questions to understand how well the recommender knows you and how strongly is he rating you. A sample LOR form from UIUC can be viewed here.
Of course, the freeform LOR that you recommender can submit is the actual detailed LOR that we are discussing in this post and these samples. Follow the format mentioned below:
- Start with a salutation and heading such as ‘To whom it may concern’
- First para should contain introduction and qualification of the recommender and why is he writing this letter. Why is he qualified to recommend you?
- Next 2 paragraphs will contain specific assessment of the candidate with appropriate examples. These will talk about multiple aspects about his candidacy and why recommender is recommending him. More specific the examples, better the LOR. Avoid generalizations and praises (think how a third person will write about you).
- Final para should summarize the assessment and recommend the candidate for the program in question.
Academic LOR Sample
Professional LOR Sample
For specific LOR tactics, check out our bestselling MS Book: Smart Engineer’s Complete Guide to MS in USA.
For our professional counseling, check out our MS/MBA Admissions Consulting Services